Lemon zest ties all the flavors together in this light and creamy pasta. Make it a meal: Serve with a salad of sliced fresh mozzarella and cherry tomatoes tossed with a little fresh basil, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into ¾-inch pieces1½ cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 4 teaspoons flour½ teaspoon salt½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preparation (Ready in 35 min.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, 3 minutes more. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk, mustard, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tarragon, lemon zest and juice. Stir the sauce into the pasta-asparagus mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sauce is thick, creamy and coats the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup Parmesan. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls and top with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
Serving size: 1½ cups
Per serving: 359 calories; 10 g fat(4 g sat); 7 g fiber; 56 g carbohydrates; 17 g protein; 161 mcg folate; 18 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,200 IU vitamin A; 11 mg vitamin C; 253 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 632 mg sodium; 466 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (40% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Vitamin A (24% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3½
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1½ fat | 3 Carbohydrate Servings