Raw cacao powder retains a higher portion of nutrients than more common cocoa powder, which is usually heated during manufacturing. Swap the almond meal here for hazelnut meal, if you prefer.
Ingredients (10-12 servings)
- 200g (about 14 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (75g) raw cacao powder, plus extra for dusting
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (220g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal (ground almonds)
Preparation (Ready in 1 hour)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Lightly grease a 22cm springform cake tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter and cacao in a saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until doubled in volume.
- Add the cacao mixture and almond meal and gently fold to combine.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 35–40 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool in the tin.
- Turn out and dust with extra cacao to serve.