This lemony asparagus soup is spiced with a touch of curry and gets added richness from “lite” coconut milk and creamy red potatoes. Top it with a dollop of crème fraîche or plain yogurt and serve warm or chilled.
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 2 cups ½-inch pieces trimmed asparagus, (about 1 bunch)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup crème fraîche or reduced-fat sour cream (see Note)
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallion greens, or fresh chives
Preparation (Ready in 50 min)
- Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder, ginger, lemon zest and potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk and asparagus. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Whisk creme fraiche (or sour cream), lemon juice and scallion greens (or chives) in a small bowl and garnish with a swirl of it.
- Serving size: 1 generous cup
- Per serving: 181 calories; 12 g fat(5 g sat); 2 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 36 mcg folate; 10 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 426 IU vitamin A; 14 mg vitamin C; 29 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 251 mg sodium; 456 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1
- Exchanges: ½ starch, 1 vegetable, 2½ fat