Crunchy carrot, cucumber and scallions are a colorful addition to this vegetarian egg salad recipe. Pack it with some crunchy crackers and tomatoes for a healthy, light lunch.
Ingredients (4 servings)
• 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
• 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• ⅛ teaspoon salt
• 8 hard-boiled eggs
• ½ cup finely chopped carrot
• ½ cup chopped cucumber, peeled and seeded if desired
• ¼ cup sliced scallions
Preparation (Ready in 25 min.)
Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, pepper and salt in a medium bowl.Halve eggs and discard 4 of the yolks (or save for another use). Add whites and the remaining 4 yolks to the bowl and mash to desired consistency. Gently stir in carrot, cucumber and scallions.
To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
• Serving size: about ¾ cup
• Per serving: 135 calories; 7.0 g fat(2.0 g sat); 1.0 g fiber; 7.0 g carbohydrates; 11.0 g protein; 36.0 mcg folate; 189 mg cholesterol; 3.0 g sugars; 0.0 g added sugars; 3043.0 IU vitamin A; 3.0 mg vitamin C; 67.0 mg calcium; 1.0 mg iron; 314 mg sodium; 248.0 mg potassium
• Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (61% daily value)
• Carbohydrate Servings: ½
• Exchanges: 1½ lean meat, ½ fat